Preseason plus some Quick Hits!
The Blackhawks just wrapped up the first pre-season game of the season - a 5-4 win over the Calgary Flames. We know, we know, the preseason doesn't mean bupkiss, but it's good to see NHL Hockey back. If only they could bring back the "old barn." On with the quick hits!
- Officer to plead guilty to reckless homicide. Don't drink and drive people.
- Ryan Harris case heads to a finale. Did everyone notice that as soon as the city council voted to encourage a settlement, pincham upped the asking price from $5 million to $10 million? Thanks a lot city council! You jackasses.
- Another "Hired Truck" figure sentenced. Hey Frank? Fran? This is what real reporting looks like - learn something.
- Blago continues to deny deny deny ... wait a minute, didn't george ryan say almost the exact same thing? EXHIBIT A - Blago says he knows nothing about any state pension deals being traded for campaign contributions. EXHIBIT B - Ryan says he knew nothing about any driver's licenses being traded for campaign contributions. Things that make you go "hmmm" and speculate that Frank and Fran are taking it in the shorts again.
- And the daley endgame continues. After giving away $40 million dollars in "Hired Truck"deals, tripling the cost of the 911 Center, giving away a $6 million dollar parcel of land in Lincoln Park, spending $200 million over and above budget for a $150 million dollar park, building a parking garage that LOSES money downtown, giving away tens of millions to "minority" front companies, the mayor now wants to raise taxes and fees to the tune of $37 million. Get this - one bright idea is a first of its kind tax on delivery companies like FedEx and UPS for $5 million dollars. If we were FedEx or UPS, we'd pull services out of the city rather than pay this extortion and watch the business community howl for blood. Daley is toast.