This is a General Order? (UPDATE)
The Department (aka McCompStat) just rolled out the newest strategy, the "Gang Violence Reduction Strategy." We commented that it looked like a series of screens in the C.L.E.A.R. system that promote data collection about all sorts of affiliations, past events, etc. We didn't realize there was an entire General Order on the whole thing - General Order 10-01. Get a load of this:
- The Department's commitment to professionalism, obligation, leadership, integrity, courage and excellence has driven many meaningful public safety achievements. The Chicago Police Department conducts training and establishes procedures consistent with the concept of Legitimacy and Procedural Justice, with the goal of strengthening our relationship with the community and ultimately improving officer safety and efficiency. The concept of Legitimacy and Procedural Justice consists of the following four principles:
- Giving others a voice (listening);
- Neutrality in decision making;
- Respectful treatment; and
Wow. Really? This is a guideline for Department operations? Who writes this shit? It's like C.A.P.S. on major league meth. And it goes on for 10 or 12 more pages. Legitimacy gone wild!
Two things for certain:
- Someone is going to get a gold star for writing this crap.
- If you ever expect to get promoted, you better learn this order backward, forward, inside and out.
UPDATE: A commentator points out that the shooting order reads:
- that first responders to a shooting scene should
- Verify someone is shot
- Send a flash message.
- Notify CPIC. No mention of rendering aid...the law staff is gonna love this...
Nice catch. Not a word about aid. So if they bleed out, you're covered.
UPDATE II: Section VI-A-1-a:
- The general message conveyed is "We will help you if you will let us, but we will stop you if you make us."
This job and this city are so doomed.