Quite a few popping up in the comment sections. We aren't picking on the FOP per se here, but this rush to pass a Contract only magnifies what would usually be minor errors:
- Sergeants are getting ballots - so are retirees?
It would seem that no one ran an actual active duty roster in the days leading up to the ballots being printed. The last sergeant class was months ago and there are guys retiring every day. You think it would be incumbent upon the FOP to have the latest list of active duty personnel to mail out ballots properly - especially for such a contentious vote. Guess not.
- "Propaganda" included with the ballot?
We got this complaint:
- ...the letter included in the ballot package. It seems as though our representatives at FOP are in a "rush" to get this done and over with. Furthermore, the writer does not hide their support for this contract and even attempts to steer the members to vote yes. That is inappropriate and points should be made stating the positives and the negatives for the members to understand so that we may be able to make a informed decision.
There's a time and a place for this - the newsletter, the website, the meetings, the district/unit visits. In the ballot mailing though? No.
- The "propaganda" has a glaring error?
Everything we've seen up until now has 11% as the offered monetary raise. Commentators are saying that it's listed as 14% in the ballot? And finally:
- How come the ballots are in the mail and we are supposed to vote and the last word the FOP President said about Tier 1 and Tier 2 hospitals is "We will get the information regarding which hospital is on which list to the membership as soon as we (FOP) get it?" How do they recommend a contract for vote and neither they nor we have the complete list of Tier 1 and 2 hospitals?
You see, you have to vote FOR the contract to see what's IN the contract. They must have learned that one from Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid and Obama. It's the new normal you know - trust them, they know what's best for you.
Labels: contract stuff