See if you can do some real journalism and put these pieces together:
- Rauner is looking to reduce prison population by 25% and gassing them isn't on the table, meaning he's going to release them back into society;
- Cook County has been trying to do their part by releasing anyone and everyone back into society with low bails and reduced sentencing, to the point of violating state laws by sending ineligible people to Boot Camp;
- CPD hasn't kept up with retirements for a decade now and we're 2,000 to 4,000 officers short of what we were when the 1990's were rolling along (depending on who's numbers you believe);
- CPD is currently running a number of overtime initiatives in distressed areas of the city - the same areas that many of these newly freed prisoners will be returning to...areas already known to have a high number of open air drug markets, felons with self control problems, guns and daily violence as a matter of course;
- the media fosters an anti-police attitude among the populace, even when such incidents are proven, time and again, to be illusory at best, lies at worst, even in the case of a mentally ill woman committing suicide.
Now go do some research and come up with something better than that piece of crap from the other day about how Chicago leads the nation in numbers of offenders killed by the police. It might actually look like you tried to be journalists.