Cardinal Butts In
- Sneed hears Cardinal Blase J. Cupich, who has likened the city’s gun violence to the Great Chicago Fire, has put together a fire brigade. And he hopes to set the bells ringing before Easter.
• Translation: In an effort to stem the violence stigmatizing Chicago throughout the world, Sneed is told, the cardinal ordered an inventory on all archdiocesan programs (84) dealing with strengthening families to streamline their effectiveness in dealing with violence; summoned a blue-ribbon committee of advisers to deal with stemming violence; and hopes to integrate their work with other agencies.
• The team: It’s comprised of Chicago’s Catholic university heads; Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s former Chief of Staff Eileen Mitchell; Illinois Supreme Court Justice Anne Burke; Father David Jones, pastor of St. Benedict The African East Catholic Church in the violence-scarred East Englewood neighborhood; Father Scott Donahue of Mercy Home For Boys and Girls; the Rev. Michael Pfleger of Saint Sabina Church; and Msgr. Michael Boland from Catholic Charities.
Wow, that's quite the panel:
- a white woman who worked for Rahm (white guy)
- a white woman married to Ed Burke (white guy)
- a black priest
- a white priest
- a white priest who pretends to be black
- another white priest
Anyone know how soon until the ACLU demands equal representation? After all, a panel that's 83% white has pretty much zero in common with the community where the bloodshed is occurring.
Labels: silly people