Educating Stupid People - Again
Why does it appear that our lot in life is to explain things to people too stupid to actually hold part-time jobs that pay way more than we'll ever earn. In this case, we have to explain things to stupid aldercreatures:
- Chicago aldermen are demanding city council hearings into last year's report on alleged police torture of murder suspects by John Burge and members of his police unit. The aldermen want the authors of the court-ordered report to explain why Burge has never been indicted or stripped of his police pension and why Mayor Daley, who was state's attorney at the time, hasn't been held accountable for not filing charges against the Burge unit.
Let's save everyone a little time and a whole lot of wasted taxpayer dollars:
- Point #1 - Burge was never indicted because the State's Attorney at the time was building up a law-and-order record to run on and didn't want Burge indicted. The State's Attorney then is the current mayor now
- Point #2 - Burge was never stripped of his pension because to do that, you need a criminal conviction. See Point #1 again
- Point #3 - Three words the City Council better learn in a hurry: Statute of Limitations. Its the reason a bunch of current aldercreatures still have jobs (according to Bob Cooley's book anyway)
- Point #4 - Since when has Daley been held accountable for anything? Crooked land deals, fraudulent "minority company" contracts, massive cost overruns, questionable hiring practices, "mericloutorious" promotions of all stripes, etc
Come on. This City, County and much of the State are run by crooked Machine politicians, a complicit republican "opposition" party and not a little bit of Organized Crime. The new members of the City Council really ought to worry about laws they can change - like the foie gras law.
Labels: city politics