We were doing a bit of light reading with the Arbitrator's decision and we ran across this paragraph at the bottom of page 8. It's a quote by Arbitrator Benn regarding a previous decision he handed down in 2009, specifically in the case of County of Boone and Boone County Sheriff and Illinois Fraternal Order of Police Labor Council. It states the following:
- ... With an economy in free-fall, unemployment marching steadily upward, credit markets frozen, businesses laying off or closing, revenue streams diminishing, government intervention programs of massive proportions seeking to prevent further harm and not knowing whether, when or to what degree those programs will succeed in stopping the
blood-letting, how am I as an interest arbitrator rationally supposed to set the economic terms of a multi-year collective bargaining agreement which the parties unsuccessfully attempted to reach before the economy crashed ...?
23 March 2009. Hmmmm. This means something. Ding-a-ling.
Time for a Google Search. Let's type in "Daley pulls raise offer" and see what happens.
Top search result yields this:
- March 21, 2009
With tax revenues plummeting, the Daley administration has pulled off the table an offer to raise the salaries of Chicago Police officers by 16.1 percent over five years, according to City Hall sources.
The decision to withdraw a contract offer the Fraternal Order of Police deemed inadequate to begin with could further depress police morale, which is already so low the union took a no-confidence vote on Police Supt. Jody Weis.
It also could prompt the FOP to pull the trigger on arbitration, a potentially risky move for both sides.
21 March 2009.
So Shortshanks pulls the raise offer off the table two days before the future arbitrator writes in his decision that...
- ...how am I as an interest arbitrator rationally supposed to set the economic terms of a multi-year collective bargaining agreement which the parties unsuccessfully attempted to reach before the economy crashed ...?
Maybe Shortshanks has a time machine.
Or a source that had access to a decision that came out two days later and the City decided it would be worth the risk to pull the 16.1% offer before it had a chance to be countered? Or worse, accepted?
Discuss among yourselves. It certainly makes us wonder, but then again, who are we?
Labels: contract stuff