Imagine, If You Will....
Play along for a minute. We have no idea if this could happen, but going over the comments as we do every day, we began to formulate a scenario. Someone far smarter than we are might tell us if this is a possibility:
- The Contract passes;
- the city decides (along with Springfield) to raise the pension contribution from 9+% to 12%
- the FOP exercises the clause in the Contract to request reopening of the wage schedule;
- the city, of course, says "No."
Does anyone think that the city would even think of saying yes? Please report to Random Drug immediately. Continuing:
- the Lodge files for arbitration or whatever;
- the city lawyers turn to Springfield with the argument that as the FOP has exercised a Contractual Clause in regard to the Pension, the Pension has now ceased to be regulated by State Law and is now in the realm of a Contractual Agreement. Oops.
Plausible? Possible? Probable? Again, these are ramblings over a pizza, beer and darts. We aren't lawyers or labor negotiators. But we can smell bullshit and spot a different perspective once in a while. With a hundred-plus years of police experience and a few centuries of Chicago living under our belts, we know better than to trust the Machine to ever play fair.
Labels: contract stuff