What's The Point of This?
Like all reporters, do thy master's bidding and bring in all sorts of non sequiturs to cloud the issue:
- Nine months after a nephew of former Mayor Richard M. Daley pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter, not a single cop has been disciplined for letting Richard J. “R.J.” Vanecko get away for nearly 10 years with killing David Koschman.
And many of them can’t be punished because they no longer work for the city.
Dan K. Webb, the court-appointed special prosecutor who won Vanecko’s conviction in January, identified 53 police personnel involved in two botched investigations of Koschman’s death.
Fifty-three people bearing some form of blame? That's a lot of blame spread pretty thin.
- After Webb wrapped up his investigation, Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s administration asked City Hall Inspector General Joseph Ferguson to determine whether any police officers should be disciplined for their roles in the Koschman case. Police Supt. Garry McCarthy is awaiting Ferguson’s recommendations.
But only 21 of the cops and other police officials identified by Webb remain on the city payroll, still subject to possible disciplinary action. Their salaries total more than $2.2 million a year.
Twenty-eight others have retired and are collecting pensions totaling $2.6 million a year. Another has died, one is on disability, and two others have left the department.
And just who are these fifty-three? Go see the article for the list, but get a load of these names that Fusco and Novak pin the tail on:
- Cmdr. William O’Donnell
- Cmdr. Michael Chasen
- Cmdr. James Gibson
- Supt. Phil Cline
- Thomas Epach (Cline Assistant)
- Dep. Supt. Hiram Grau
- Chief of Detectives James Molloy
- Deputy Chief of Detectives Richard Kobel
- Supt. Jody Weis
- General Counsel Debra Kirby
- Chief of Staff Michael G. Masters Masters Masters
- Deputy Supt. Steven Peterson
- Chief of Detectives Thomas Byrne
- Deputy Chief of Detectives Constantine “Dean” Andrews
- Cmdr. Gary Yamashiroya
- Cmdr. Joseph Salemme
- Deputy Supt. Ernest Brown
And that's just the civilians and exempt ranks. Good luck pinning any blame on those folks. The Dicks and Sergeants and Lieutenants listed are like a "Who's Who" of meri-clout-orious favors granted. Together, their clout must outweigh several pods of oceanic whales. And why exactly does their salary or overtime or pension have anything to do with the investigation? Or is that just extraneous information included to prejudice and inflame the public?