Lighter Sentences = More Crime?
- California’s Proposition 47 of 2014, The Safe Neighborhoods and Schools Act, which changed some drug and property crimes from felonies to misdemeanors, has coincided with a rise in crime in parts of the state.
Conservative columnist Debra Saunders, who is the lone conservative columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle, argues in her latest syndicated column that the release of roughly 3,700 inmates has decreased public safety.
The statistical evidence is pretty damning - in San Francisco:
- car theft has risen 47% from the same period in 2014;
- robberies have increased 23%; and
- aggravated assaults have risen 2%.
And in Los Angeles:
- the city saw a 12.7% increase in overall crime;
- violent offenses climbed 20.6%; and
- property crime increased 11%.
If only someone was around who could have predicted this! But we suppose they have someone there, too, who says loudly and weekly, "Crime is down!" despite all the evidence to the contrary.