Aldermen approved more than $7 million in payments Wednesday to two more men who said they were tortured during the 1980s by detectives under the command of disgraced former Chicago police Cmdr. Jon Burge.
An attorney for one of the men suggested that Mayor Rahm Emanuel — who didn't take office until last year — should apologize for the actions of Burge, who was fired in 1993 and is now serving 4 1/2 years in federal prison for lying about the torture and abuse of suspects.
Instead, Emanuel said he wants the city to move past the scandal.
An apology would open the city to even more liability by admitting culpability.
Labels: we got nothing