The City That Works - Not
The final bill has come due for "the Bean" and it's a whopper! From Channel 7 reports:
- Here's "the Bean" counter:
- in 1999 the proposed cost was $6 million.
- by the time Millennium Park opened the tab had almost doubled.
- a year ago it had almost tripled and a California engineering company went broke making just the framework.
- the 2006 final price tag: $23 million.
And how about these stunners:
- it is more than the City of Chicago budget for women's and children's health care.
- it is twice the money the city spends on fire prevention.
- four times the budget for low-income heating bill help.
- and eight times the amount the city spends on it's plan to end homelessness.
Two years late, four times over budget, just for a sculpture. Good thing the mayor tricked a whole bunch of corporations and wealthy individuals to part with their millions for this debacle.