And Once Again, Racial Profiling
- Minority drivers have a greater chance of being stopped by police in Illinois than white drivers. That's according to the latest numbers from the Illinois Department of Transportation. Minorities make up about one-fourth of Illinois drivers but they accounted for nearly one-third of police traffic stops.
Of the minorities who were pulled over nearly 69 percent got traffic tickets. Less than 60 percent of white drivers were ticketed. I-DOT says police are also more likely to search cars of minority drivers.
Now check out the Sun Times article, which parrots the Channel 7 report, but includes a helpful little chart with actual numbers. Here's a stunner - total traffic stops:
- 2004 TOTAL Stops: 1,676,043 whites
- 2004 TOTAL Stops: 817,644 minorities
- 2005 TOTAL Stops: 1,697,063 whites
- 2005 TOTAL Stops: 792,263 minorities
You want to know our opinion of this all? Too fucking bad.
Here's a little information for the so called unbiased media. First of all, most coppers have no idea what race of driver is behind the wheel when they pull over a car. They don't even care. A law is violated, someone gets pulled over. Secondly, driver conduct determines quite a bit of how you get treated - the "Golden Rule" and treat others as you wish to be treated? If we pull over any driver and they are polite, respectful, have all of their paperwork in order and current license, sticker and insurance, guess what? THEY GET A BREAK! Seriously! It's called "discretion" and we use it all the time. Here's the flip side - you give us lip and attitude, don't carry a license, never had insurance on a car that isn't registered to you and when you rolled down the window it smelled like a cannabis packaging factory? You are getting tickets, you are getting your car tossed and you are going to jail if we find anything.
We'll let the good reverends explain where this whole attitude of "you're just pulling me over because I'm [insert color here]" comes from. Racial profiling our ass. Look at those numbers again - white people pulled over UP by 23,000, minorities DOWN by 25,000, all in the course of one year.