Gee, if we had just known all we needed a new motto, we would have had this contest years ago!
- Chicago Police Supt. Jody Weis issued a new "core values" statement to officers Tuesday, one of a handful of big changes he has made since taking over the department Feb. 1.
"These core values are on display by many police officers everyday," Weis said in a statement. "But we want to ensure that every police officer knows, accepts and displays the tenets that define what a Chicago police officer should be."
The values statement will be taught to new recruits at the training academy and given to officers at roll calls and at police stations.
Yup, this will solve all our problems. Thanks god J-Fed made it here to backassward Chicago to bless us with his glorious knowledge and leadership. It feels like Moses has come down from the mountain, doesn't it?
- The core values follow the acronym POLICE: professionalism, obligation, leadership, integrity, courage and excellence.
New SCC Contest! Make your own acronym. Our entry is as follows:
- P is for Political Promotions, made without regard to ability;
- O is for Owed, as in "favors owed," or "obligations;"
- L is for Liability, many "want" it, but only the lowest are liable;
- I is for Incompetence throughout the ranks of supervisors;
- C is for Clout, which rules the day, despite repeated denials;
- E is for Embarrassment, in thinking that coming up with some cutesy "core value" press release is going to rid us of the political repercussions of promoting unqualified sons, daughters, wives, husbands, nieces, nephews, cousins, lovers to positions far beyond their abilities.
Core Values is going to solve all our problems? Holy Crap.