Actual Timely Training?
- With an eye toward the Northern Illinois University and Virginia Tech massacres, Chicago's multi-pronged disaster plan has added a new chapter on school violence that will ultimately require retraining the city's 7,000 patrol officers.
"Now the feeling is we don't have the luxury of waiting to establish a perimeter. We have to go into the building and resolve the problem in immediate fashion. That's what we're training our officers to do. It's not a hostage situation. It's a violence situation. We can't negotiate with someone who is in the act of shooting people."
School-violence drills at the police academy have "just started," Daly said. Ultimately, every patrol officer will have to be retrained on the new plan.
- * 98% of active killers act alone.
* 80% have long guns, 75% have multiple weapons (about 3 per incident), and they sometimes bring hundreds of extra rounds of ammunition to the shooting site.
* Despite such heavy armaments and an obsession with murder at close range, they have an average hit rate of less than 50%.
* They strike "stunned, defenseless innocents via surprise ambush. On a level playing field, the typical active killer would be a no-contest against anyone reasonably capable of defending themselves."
* "They absolutely control life and death until they stop at their leisure or are stopped." They do not take hostages, do not negotiate.
* They generally try to avoid police, do not hide or lie in wait for officers and "typically fold quickly upon armed confrontation."
* 90% commit suicide on-site. "Surrender or escape attempts are unlikely."
Labels: department issues