Thursday, April 09, 2009

Thanks from Saints for Sara

A "thank you" from a police wife and mother:
  • To Our Police Friends and Family -
    My name is Erin Martorano. My husband, Joe Martorano has worked for the Chicago Police Department for ten years. This past November, our four year old daughter, Sara was diagnosed with cancer. Cancer has no boundaries. Cancer loves to invade every aspect of your life. It is the eternal support of family and friends that is keeping our family afloat in a cancerous sea of good and bad "moments."

    April 5th, our friends held the Saints for Sara benefit. I'm writing this letter in response to my emotions from this heart warming get together. The Chicago Police presence was overwhelming. I appreciate your smiles, your looks of concern, your well wishes, your nods, your hugs, your generosity, your jokes, your cheers, your personalities. That's one thing the Chicago Police Department is not short of......unique personalities!

    I'm a girl who was born and bred in the suburbs of Chicago. I am not from a police family. Marrying Joe and his job has been quite an experience. Being a Chicago Police officer is a lifestyle. It is not a job choice. It is a chosen life of leaving your family and going to work with a gun and bullet-proof vest. Every day you choose to put yourself in dangerous and unpredictable situations. Unlike other professions, even when you're off duty, you are still a police officer. You are still expected to "do the job." You are expected to keep the city and it's people safe, while having a smile on your face and only nice things to say. You are expected to use your gun at a moments notice to save your life or the life of someone else...and with those same hands, you hold your wife or husband and tuck your kid into bed at night. What is expected of you and your family is extreme. You still do it. If you are not one of us, you do not understand.

    You are Chicago Police officers. You do not let one of your own, walk alone. Since our daughter, Sara was diagnosed with cancer, you have not left our family's side. We know a lot of you personally, some...we know your name, some...we know what district you work in, some...we just know you are the police. Thank you for support, friendship, prayers and laughs throughout of family's cancer journey.

    Much gratitude and thanks,
    Erin Martorano
We just thought this deserved front page coverage rather than being buried in the comments.

Labels: ,

24 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe, you said it best at the benefit. You talked about how you know, have seen and worked with some of the strongest, toughest people out there, but the strongest and toughest of them all was living under your own roof!

4/09/2009 12:10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, it did. And does.


http://blogs.chicagoreader.com/politics/2009/04/02/editorial-boards-speak/#comments


Scroll down to the next to last posted comment.

4/09/2009 12:13:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We love you guys!!!! You are and always will be our family. Joe and Erin, Sara and your sisters, you are the strongest people I have ever met, and I am truly honored to know you all, and be a part of your lives

4/09/2009 12:13:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes it seems all that we are or have become are a bunch of cynical cops. We deal with crap and we see tons of it.

But I know that this is not true.

I have been on the job for almost 12 years. Not a lot by some standards, but more than most of the department. Through all of what I have seen and done on this job, this letter represents and describes the vast majority of us.

I have never met, at their core, truer and more helpful people my whole life. Time and time again, when we step up to the plate we knock the ball out of the park.

Good job boys and girls in blue.

God bless you, Sara and your whole family. God bless the men and women of CPD.

4/09/2009 12:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nearly eight years ago, I dealt with a huge emotional and mental domestic crisis, along with the discovery of the beginning stages of cancer.

I had no need for a benefit, but my partners and a number of co-workers would call me. My W/C, a great guy, now retired, gave me his home phone number. Fr. Nangle was a tremendous help and comfort.

I did not hear from anyone in my church. My neighbors were not too concerned. My non-police friends did not call. It was CPD who helped me through a very dark moment.

I am glad that those saints came out for Sara. I am glad those saints still wear the uniform of the CPD.

4/09/2009 12:25:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen ! They are great people, the benefit was outstanding!

4/09/2009 01:57:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God bless you and your family sometimes it's good to hear that we are appreciated.

We'll keep Sara in our prayers. We don't have much but we do have each other.

4/09/2009 03:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, that letter just made me proud all over again to be a police officer. thank you and my prayers are with you and your family.

4/09/2009 07:52:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW All that she is going through and she has the time, energy and peace of mind to write such a lovely letter. She is truly a gracious woman how lucky her family is.
and CPD does make you proud!

4/09/2009 08:31:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have witnessed the Strong Blue Line that transcends color, creed, neighborhood, and personality conflicts. There is no truer bond, it seems, than the brothers and sisters and blue. I am not the police but related to many. It is a bond that is even stronger than blood.
God Bless You ALL!! You are heroes, you are Saints, You are AMAZING men and women.

God Bless Sara and her family!!

4/09/2009 08:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was glad to buy a ticket. Good work M. Nallen. It was very well organized.

4/09/2009 08:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful letter. Makes me proud again to be a police officer. God bless Sara and her family.

4/09/2009 10:56:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best said "WE are a family of Blue".

May the ALMIGHTY FATHER bestow his blessing on dear Sara and her family this Holy week.

Prayers do WORK.

4/09/2009 01:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God bless the Martorano family! My family will keep Sara in our prayers. Joe is a great guy and grandpa Andy is one of the finest men I ever worked for. As Commander of 020, Andy would always do anything to help a policeman.

God Bless Sara!

4/09/2009 03:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Erin. Joe was one of the good guys.

4/09/2009 04:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike Nallen you did an awesome job and yes I know you had a commitee and assistance in planning and executing the benefit, I have run benefits as well and I KNOW how "overwhelming" it can be as well as your need for true dedication you have to put into running one. I commend you and I commend Maria for "being there" and assisting you in what you needed. God bless, from one of your fundraising helpers, friend and fellow officers.

4/09/2009 07:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an amazing letter. I am a CPD wife and can't say how great it is to see this get its own post. Hopefully all of the non - CPD readers will take a minute to remember the lifestyle our officers have chosen.

4/09/2009 07:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Sgt. Mike Nallen 012 and all those whose helped him put together a fantastic benefit. What you did for Joe and Erin was great. Job well done!

4/09/2009 10:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike Nallen.

I am an old timer with 30 yoj.

If the CPD had 200 Sgt.' like Mike, copper's, like the old days could not wait to get back to work after their R.D.O.'

I know Mike and this is man is a gem. In my eyes, a man with a heart of gold like Mike is top of the game with me.

Mike... your the best and I hope I am alive to see you amke it to the top.

May our Heavenly Father always bless you and yours.

4/10/2009 12:05:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was also nice to see so many of Joe's dad Andy's friends and co-workers there. What a great and strong family the Martarano's are!
I'm positive this little Angel will win this fight!

On Sunday I was once again VERY proud to be a Chicago Police Officer.

Nice job Mike Nallan and helpers

4/10/2009 07:33:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Godbless all of you, our prayers are always with Sara, and the Martorano Family. Mike N. you did an incredible job (selfless). I am always proud to have worked with both yourself and Joe. Erin your strength is amazing. Thoughts and Prayers always.

4/10/2009 05:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful event. My wife and kids had a good time. But my wife did comment, why was the Plumbers Union hall so much larger than the FOP's hall? How many members do they have compared to us?

God bless the Plumbers for letting us use it, but we really should have something like that we could use.

Continue your fight Sara, we're all behind you. Great job to those who put it together.

May I or my family never need a benefit, but if I did I know my brothers would be there.

4/11/2009 01:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You, my dear woman, are a saint.

4/12/2009 11:02:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My prayers go out to your family, I have a 2 year old and I can just imagine the pain you are going through. May the power of the Lord Jesus Christ heal your Lil angel. God Bless. You will always be in my prayers.

4/12/2009 09:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts.......................... ..........................Older Posts