Not a single soul in the political administration is going to say it without word from above. Out of 50 aldercreatures, we have yet to hear a dissenting voice raised in protest. Even the supposedly "independent" media hasn't the balls to say anything.
We are visited by maybe 1,200 people a day (most visit twice). We average about 2,500 hits a day - in a city of 2.5 million, we are read by under 1/100th of 1% of the population. And actually, even less than that as almost 40% of our visitors are from out of state and out of the country. And we are stuck saying this:
- Phil Cline - RESIGN NOW PLEASE
Not only Phil Cline, but Dana Starks, too. And Maria Maher. And Debra Kirby. And Charles Williams. And who knows how many more creatures who never were, can't and won't ever be the police.
The scandals of recent years, from missing dope, guns and property at E&RPS, Broken Star, Flagg and company, SOS, the Abbate beating, the Gun Team bar incident, the list seems endless, can all be traced to a quid pro quo promotion system geared toward political loyalty or for services rendered. The Department leadership fails and continues to fail taxpayers and the decent men and women they are supposed to lead.
- The hampton sign issue? ZERO leadership. No one spoke up for the dead aside from a meaningless gesture that had no chance of approval.
- The rev. meeks traffic stop non issue? ZERO leadership. No one defended the sergeant's actions and instead, hung him out to dry for weeks while trips were made to the church run by a race baiter. We're still amazed the right decision was eventually made.
- Manpower allocation? ZERO leadership. Too many two-year secretaries with guns hidden in 35th Street cubicles, CAPS back offices and gold star harems. Districts operate down 50 coppers on average due to detailed out personnel so various bosses can run their little teams and fiefs.
- Promotions? ZERO leadership. No set standards for "merit" promotions and goals to shoot for. Far too often people promoted above their capabilities or ability and only due to who they know or worse. Retired personnel mandatoried off the job, then hired back as civilian exempts at or above their previously inflated salaries, all while drawing from our 50% funded pension plan.
- Actual solving crime and clearance rates? ZERO leadership. Commit murder in Chicago and there's a better than 50% chance you'll get away with it. And it isn't looking any better this year. The answer? More seat belt missions? No more "grabbing the keys and driving around." You might find actual crime that way!
The leadership has failed. The rank and file does not support you in any meaningful way. You have lost their confidence. You preach accountability, yet if our e-mail is to be believed, a certain exempt has given the same speech to every single "ethics" class of supervisors stating if he could have transferred certain offending sergeants and officers any farther than he did (way up north to districts way down south) he would have - which means he knew about this bar brawl months ago. Yet it breaks into the news Saturday?
Where is the accountability of the bosses? Of the politically connected? Of the failure of the hiring and screening processes that are supposed to provide us with new blood to do the job?
You don't like our opinion? Fine. Rip us. We'll even publish it if you can make a reasonable amount of sense in explaining why we're assholes for calling for bosses to be accountable for their people, their promotions, their stretching the rules to cover a bunch of people while hanging others out to dry.
Frankly, we're just disgusted with a whole bunch of people right about now.
Labels: corruption, department issues, scandals