We were paging through the Sun Times archives today. As readers know, we refuse to pay for that paper and have encouraged everyone we know to cancel subscriptions. And we ran across this Mary Mitchell column
Truth be told, the war going on in our streets is a black and brown war.
Most whites can escape the war.
We were bracing ourselves for another of her infamous screeds, but it never materialized. She quoted studies, statistics and other info that paints a pretty bleak picture. And that picture is damn bleak for minorities:
- According to the latest statistics put out by the U.S. Justice Department in 2005, blacks were six times more likely than whites to be victims of a homicide. And African Americans were more than seven times more likely to be perpetrators of the violence.
Cold hard facts. And since they're pointed out by a black woman, knee jerk reactionaries can't cry "racism!" as they are wont to do. We will take issue with her call for more gun laws. Gun laws only affect the law abiding, seeing as how criminals disregard the laws constantly. We don't know why liberals insist on legislating more victims, but Mary is what she is, so no big deal. Here's what we have a problem with though - her solution:
Love wasn't the answer back in the 60's or 70's and we doubt it's the answer now. Case in point
- A South Side teenage mother who authorities said no longer wanted a baby because she couldn't go to parties was held on $600,000 bond Wednesday on charges that she drowned her 5-month-old daughter in a bathtub earlier this month.
- She later told authorities that she drowned the child because she no longer wanted to be a mother, officials said.
- Rodgers told police "she didn't want to be a mom anymore because she couldn't go to parties if she had to take care of the baby,"
- Planey said that Rodgers placed the baby in a full bathtub on the afternoon of April 4. When the child slid under the water, Rodgers sat and watched for several minutes
Read that last sentence again:
- When the child slid under the water, Rodgers sat and watched for several minutes
What woman, what mother, what human being could just place a child in a tub, watch her slide under the water and sit idly by as their own flesh and blood drowned? We've been harsh on Mitchell in the past, deservedly so for some of her more insane rantings. She seems to have turned some sort of corner in her writing as of late which is a hopeful sign. But this delving into "love" as a solution doesn't even being to address this problem of mothers drowning their children. How can you even pretend there is anything worth saving in a person that far gone?
Labels: crime, media